Today, we remember the September 11 attacks, commonly known as 9/11, a “series of airline hijackings and suicide attacks committed in 2001 by 19 militants associated with the Islamic extremist group al-Qaeda against targets in the United States, the deadliest terrorist attacks on American soil in U.S. history.” – Transportation Security Administration website, an official website of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
This year, September 11, 2023, is the 22nd Anniversary Commemoration of 9/11.
As the United States never forgets the attack and honors those impacted, Around The Ozarks would like to share a few local events to happening in honor of 9/11, today, September 11th, 2023.
- “Marshfield Remembers”
- The City of Marshfield will host the third annual “Marshfield Remembers” memorial at Patriot Park, 1490 N. Elm St., on September 11, 2023 in remembrance of the tragic events of 9/11/01. A memorial display of 2,977 U.S. Flags, opens at 8 am in remembrances of the lives lost on that day 22 years ago. In addition, a tribute in light will be begin at 8 pm with by two towers of light gracing the night’s sky for exactly 102 minute’s followed by the playing of Taps at 9:45 pm.
- Springfield Area 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb
- The Memorial Stair Climb is a commemorative climb to honor the 343 members of the Fire Department of New York who died on September 11, 2001. The eleventh annual Springfield Area Memorial Stair Climb starts at 8:30 am at Missouri State University- Plaster Stadium on Saturday, September 30, 2023.
- The entire community to join the Memorial Stair Climb at MSU Plaster Stadium for our Eleventh Annual Springfield Area Memorial Stair Climb.
- 9/11 Memorial Ceremony at College of the Ozarks
- The ceremony will include a welcome by Dr. Brad Johnson, College of the Ozarks president, music from the College of the Ozarks Concert Band, the raising of the 9/11 National Remembrance Flag, a special presentation by the fifth-grade students at the College’s S. Truett Cathy Lower School, and special remarks by Lundstrom.
- The ceremony will be held at the Lest We Forget 9/11 Memorial located next to the Point Lookout Fire Department on James Forsythe Drive on the College of the Ozarks campus.
- The public is invited and encouraged to attend the ceremony.
- 9/11 Backwoods Golf Charity Event
- Join Backwoods Golf for their 9/11Event benefitting LOCAL Veterans & First Responders!
- Benefitting local Veterans and first responders, this event will be held on September 11th from 4-7pm at Backwoods Golf in Republic! Teams are $200- this includes a points challenge for 4 people!
If you are unable to attend a local event but would like to participate in a commemoration ceremony, see below.
- The National September 11 Memorial & Museum’s Annual September 11 Commemoration Ceremony
- The National September 11 Memorial & Museum‘s annual September 11 commemoration ceremony will stream live from 8:40 a.m. until approximately 12:30 p.m. Join us as we read aloud the names of the men, women, and children killed as a result of the 9/11 attacks and the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, and help ensure we never forget.
For more information on 9/11, CLICK HERE to visit the National September 11 Memorial & Museum website.