Summer is the warmest season of the year from June to August in the northern hemisphere. According to Weather U.S., summers are hot and humid in Missouri with average high temperatures in the 80°F to 90°F range, but it is common to observe many days together that remain above 100°F. Extreme temperatures occur regularly in Missouri due to lack of mountain ranges and large water bodies.
Higher temperatures also means higher heat indexes; both with the ability to cause heat-related illnesses. If you see a child, pet, or unresponsive adult in a closed, parked vehicle, immediately call 911. For more information from Springfield-Greene County Health about signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses and tips to beat the heat, CLICK HERE.
Below is a list of cooling centers locations in the Ozarks the community can use to aid in staying safe in the heat this summer.
- Ash Grove Sunshine Center
- 310 North Perryman, Ash Grove, MO
- Chesterfield Family Center
- 2511 W. Republic Rd., Springfield, MO
- Dan Kinney Family Center
- 2701 S. Blackman Rd., Springfield, MO
- Doling Family Center
- 310 E. Talmage St., Springfield, MO
- Fair Grove Senior Center
- 122 S. Orchard Blvd., Fair Grove, MO
- Gerry Pool Senior Friendship Center
- 210 East Hines, Republic, MO
- Jordan Valley Ice Park
- 635 E. Trafficway, Springfield, MO
- Rogersville Area Senior Center
- 197 Marshall, Rogersville, MO
- Salvation Army Springfield
- 1707 W Chestnut Expy, Springfield, MO
- South Side Senior Center
- 2215 South Fremont, Springfield, MO
- Strafford Senior Center
- 201 West Bumgarner, Strafford, MO
- Northview Senior Center
- 305 E. Talmage, Springfield, MO
CLICK HERE to view Greene County Hot Weather Resources Map that includes the Cooling Center locations listed above, as well as Public Buildings with A/C locations and Connecting Grounds Water Refill Station locations.